Traveling to Virginia? If you are flying to the Bristol area then we’ve got some nice tips for you. In this article, we are taking a look at the most convenient airports near Bristol, VA for your travel needs. First, let’s start with a comparison table for those readers who just want the quick info:
|Distance from Bristol VA
|Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI / KTRI)
|Asheville Regional Airport (AVL)
|McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS)
|Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA)
Now that we’ve taken a look at the comparison it’s time to inspect each airport near Bristol, VA. We’ll give you the details which will help you choose the best place to land when you are traveling.
Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI)
Tri-Cities Regional Airport, also known as TRI, is the main airport serving the Bristol, Virginia area. Situated in Blountville, Tennessee, TRI offers a range of services and amenities to make your travel experience convenient and enjoyable.
Overview of Tri-Cities Regional Airport
- Location: Blountville, Tennessee
- Size: 1250 acres
- Runways: 5/23 (8000 x 150 ft) and 9/27 (4442 x 150 ft)
- Average aircraft operations per day: 136
- Main airlines: Allegiant, American, Delta
Available airlines and flight routes
Tri-Cities Regional Airport offers non-stop service to several major hubs across the United States. From these hubs, you can easily connect to multiple destinations within the nation.
- Allegiant: Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB), St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE)
- American: Charlotte (CLT) through Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- Delta: Dallas (DFW) through Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Atlanta (ATL) through Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport
Please note that while TRI may be the closest airport, it’s possible that you might need to take connecting flights to reach your desired destination. Regardless, this airport should be your number-one choice when traveling to Bristol, VA.
Asheville Regional Airport (AVL)
Asheville Regional Airport is a Class C airport located in Fletcher, North Carolina, USA. It is owned by the Greater Asheville Regional Airport Authority and is classified as a small-hub primary commercial service facility.
Available airlines and flight routes:
- Asheville Regional Airport is served by several airlines, including Allegiant, American, Delta, JetBlue, and Sun Country.
- The airport offers nonstop flights to 26 destinations within the United States.
- Popular routes from Asheville include Charlotte, Atlanta, and Chicago.
Distance and Location from Bristol VA:
- Asheville Regional Airport is located approximately 100 miles from Bristol, Virginia.
- The airport provides convenient access to Bristol and the surrounding areas for travelers looking to fly in or out of the region.
Asheville Regional Airport is already quite a distance away from Bristol, VA but if you can find a cheap flight to this airport you may save on the tickets. Couple that with cheap transportation between Asheville and Bristol and you’ve managed to save some money.
McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS)
If you’re planning a trip to Bristol, Virginia, one airport option to consider is McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS). Located in Blountville, Tennessee, this airport is approximately 125 miles away from Bristol and offers a convenient gateway to the area.
Overview of McGhee Tyson Airport
- Airport code: TYS
- Distance from Bristol: 125 miles
- Domestic airport offering primarily domestic flights within the United States
- Medium-sized airport
Available Airlines and Flight Routes
- Allegiant: This airline operates the most flights to McGhee Tyson Airport, connecting it to 15 airports.
- American Airlines: The second-largest airline to fly to Knoxville, with direct flights available from several airports.
- Delta: Offers non-stop flights to Knoxville from various locations.
- United Airlines: Fly non-stop to McGhee Tyson Airport with United Airlines.
- Several other airlines operate flights to McGhee Tyson Airport from different destinations.
McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) might be a great alternative airport to check out. Finding cheap flights to Bristol, VA can be hard so it’s great to have multiple options.
Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA)
Finally, we have Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA) which is the furthest airport from Bristol, VA on this list. Regardless, it’s still within a reasonable distance especially if you manage to snatch up some great deals on flight tickets.
Overview of Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport
Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport is Western Virginia’s only full-service airport, serving both passenger airlines and airfreight carriers. It is governed by the Roanoke Regional Airport Commission, which includes representatives from the city and county of Roanoke.
The airport features two runways and covers an expansive area of 912 acres. It offers various facilities, including a terminal building, a control tower, and parking options for travelers.
Distance and Location from Bristol, VA
Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport is located approximately 146 miles from Bristol, VA. The driving time to the airport from Bristol is approximately 2 hours and 17 minutes, depending on the traffic conditions and route taken.
It is easily accessible via major highways, including Interstate 81 and Interstate 581.
Overall, Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA) is a major airport with many connections available. You may even use this as your layover airport when traveling toward Bristol, VA.
The Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI / KTRI) is without question the closest airport to Bristol, VA. There are no other big airports in a 90-mile range.
Yes, this is the official airport to Bristol, VA.