When planning a trip to Cape Coral, Florida, one important consideration is the choice of airport. Cape Coral is conveniently located near several airports, each offering its own advantages. In this article, we will compare the airports near Cape Coral to help you make an informed decision for your travel needs.
- Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW): This is the closest airport to Cape Coral, located just 16 miles away. RSW is the largest airport in the region and offers a wide range of domestic and international flights.
- Punta Gorda Airport (PGD): Located approximately 23 miles north of Cape Coral, Punta Gorda Airport is a popular choice for budget-conscious travelers. It primarily serves Allegiant Air and offers affordable flights to several destinations across the US.
- Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ): Although located approximately 75 miles north of Cape Coral, SRQ is worth considering for its additional flight options. It serves multiple airlines, including Delta, American, and United.
Above is a quick peek into the airports near Cape Coral, FL. If you just wanted the quick info then there you go. Those who wish to learn more about each option should continue reading.
Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW)
Overview of RSW
Located in Fort Myers, Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) is the primary airport serving the greater Southwest Florida region, including Cape Coral.
It is owned and operated by the Lee County Port Authority and is considered one of the newest airports in the country, with a new terminal complex opening in 2005.
RSW is known for its convenience, comfort, and exceptional travel experience. It served over 10.3 million passengers in 2022 and is ranked among the top 50 U.S. airports for passenger traffic.
Flight Connections and Destinations
Southwest Florida International Airport offers nonstop flights to a wide range of domestic and international destinations. Here are some key details about flight connections and popular destinations from RSW:
- RSW has nonstop passenger flights to 51 destinations in 2 countries, including Canada and Germany.
- Domestically, there are 48 nonstop flights from RSW to various cities in the United States.
- Some popular domestic destinations from RSW include Atlanta, Chicago, and Baltimore-Washington.
- The airport operates flights to major gateways like New York and offers convenient connections to destinations worldwide.
- International flights from RSW include nonstop service to Frankfurt, Germany, and various cities in Canada, such as Toronto and Ottawa.
- Airlines that operate from RSW include Southwest Airlines, JetBlue, Delta, American Airlines, and more.
- The airport has a single terminal building with three concourses: B, C, and D.
- Facilities at RSW include shops, restaurants, and charging stations throughout the terminal for passengers’ convenience.
Overall Southwest Florida International Airport should be your go-to destination when traveling to Cape Coral. It’s the closest major airport and it’s likely that you’ll find a nice cheap ticket here. However, if you want more options for comparison, please read on.
Punta Gorda Airport (PGD)
Punta Gorda Airport (PGD) is a public airport located three miles east of Punta Gorda in Charlotte County, Florida. Managed by the Charlotte County Airport Authority, PGD primarily serves general aviation but has seen an increase in scheduled airline service in recent years.
Overview of PGD
- Owned by Charlotte County Airport Authority
- Home to the Florida International Air Show
- Provides annual military demonstration events
- Features various aviation services such as fueling, aircraft ground handling, parking, and hangar leasing
Flight Connections and Destinations
Punta Gorda Airport offers flights to fifty-one destinations through various airlines. Some of the important points to note about PGD’s flight connections are:
- Allegiant Air operates the majority of the flights from PGD
- Alternative airports near Punta Gorda include Coral Creek Airport, Arcadia Municipal Airport, Page Field Airport, Venice Municipal Airport, and Southwest Florida International Airport
- No major international flights depart from PGD; passengers can connect through airports like Minneapolis or Nashville to reach international destinations
- The majority of the flights from Punta Gorda are domestic, connecting to 44 airports within the United States
- Allegiant and Sun Country Airlines are the only two airlines flying from Punta Gorda
- Punta Gorda Airport does not currently have any airline alliances
Overall Punta Gorda Airport is a nice airport to check out when flying to Cape Coral. It is still pretty close to town so getting a cheap flight ticket here can help you save a buck or two.
Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ)
Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) is one of the airports near Cape Coral, Florida that you should consider when planning your trip. Here are some key points to know about this airport:
- Located approximately 75 miles north of Cape Coral, Sarasota Bradenton International Airport offers an alternative option for travelers looking for additional flight options.
- Several major airlines serve SRQ, including Delta, American, and United Airlines, providing a range of domestic and international flights.
- The airport offers a variety of services and amenities to make your travel experience more convenient and enjoyable. This includes parking facilities, rental car services, and ground transportation options such as taxis and shuttles.
- Sarasota Bradenton International Airport has a reputation for its excellent customer service and is known for its easy-to-navigate layout, making it a stress-free airport to travel through.
- The airport also provides various dining and shopping options, allowing passengers to grab a bite to eat or pick up any essentials before their flight.
Finally, the Sarasota Bradenton International Airport should be your backup airport. An airport that you check when you can absolutely not find affordable tickets to other places. Maybe you get lucky here, but keep in mind the cost of transport between SRQ and Cape Coral.
Naples Municipal Airport (APF)
Naples Municipal Airport (APF) is one of the General Aviation airports near Cape Coral, Florida. It is located just a short distance from the beaches and condominiums of Naples, Marco Island, and Bonita Beach.
APF is a well-known destination for many in the business aviation industry and serves the needs of general aviation in southwest Florida.
The airport is often referred to as “The Best Little Airport in the Country” and is a good neighbor to the local community.
Here are some key details about APF:
- Size: The airport spans an area of 732 acres.
- Economy: APF contributes $273 million to the local economy, both directly and indirectly.
- Based Aircraft: There are nearly 400 based aircraft at the airport.
- Operations: Approximately 85,000 aircraft operations take place at APF annually.
- Commercial Service: While Naples had commercial carriers in the past, the airport currently has minimal airline service.
- Noise Mitigation: APF has taken initiatives to minimize noise and be a good neighbor, including a voluntary curfew from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. and restrictions on certain types of jets.
- Safety Enhancements: The airport has made improvements to enhance safety, such as adding displaced thresholds to runways and developing standard instrument departure and arrival procedures.
- Customs and Border Protection: APF has a U.S. Customs and Border Protection federal inspection station to accommodate international flights.
Choose Naples Municipal Airport when you fly your own plane or private jet.
In conclusion, when planning a trip to Cape Coral, Florida, there are several airport options to consider. The Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) is the closest and most convenient airport for most travelers, offering a wide range of domestic and international flights.
Punta Gorda Airport (PGD) and Naples Municipal Airport (APF) are also viable options, especially for budget-conscious travelers and those seeking a quieter airport experience.
Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) is further away but offers additional flight options for those looking to explore more destinations. Consider your proximity to Cape Coral, flight options, cost of flights, and ground transportation options.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW): This is the main airport serving Cape Coral, located about 14 miles away.
Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) is served by major airlines such as American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, and Southwest Airlines.