Traveling to Estero, FL, and looking for the correct airport? In this article, we’ll give you the run-down on the airports near Estero, Florida. This will help you make the best out of your travel plans. Let’s start with a simple list for those who can’t wait for the details:
- Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW)
- Single-runway airport serving the Estero area
- Closest airport to Estero
- Punta Gorda Airport (PGD)
- Nice alternative choice
- Sarasota–Bradenton International Airport (SRQ)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
These four are the airports near Estero that we are looking at today. Below we’ll inspect each choice in detail so you can choose the one that’s most convenient for your travel plans.
How to Choose the Nearest Airport
When deciding on the nearest airport to Estero, FL, there are a few factors to consider. Here are some tips to help you make the best choice:
- Distance: Check the proximity of the airport to Estero. The closer the airport, the quicker and more convenient your journey will be.
- Flight Availability: Consider the airports that offer flights to and from your intended destination. It’s important to have good flight options, especially if you’re traveling internationally or to specific locations.
- Airport Facilities: Look for airports that provide the amenities and services you require. Some airports may have better facilities, such as lounges, restaurants, or shopping options, which can enhance your travel experience.
- Transportation Options: Consider the transportation options available from the airport to Estero. Look for convenient public transportation, taxi services, or car rental facilities that can make your journey more seamless.
Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW)
Overview of RSW: Located in South Fort Myers, Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) is a major county-owned airport serving the region including Estero, Fort Myers, and Naples.
It is the second-busiest single-runway airport in the United States and offers a range of amenities and services to passengers.
Flight Routes and Airlines Serving RSW:
- RSW offers flights to 53 destinations with 15 airlines in scheduled passenger traffic.
- Some of the airlines operating at RSW include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, and United Airlines.
- The airport provides both domestic and international flight options, with destinations including major U.S. cities and popular vacation spots.
Transportation Options to and from RSW:
- Shuttle Services: RSW offers shuttle services, such as Super Shuttle, for convenient transportation to and from the airport. These options include blue van shuttles, town cars, and luxury SUVs.
- Uber: Travelers can also reserve a ride with Uber in advance to ensure seamless airport transportation. Uber provides a cash-free payment option and operates at more than 600 major hubs.
- Airport Parking: RSW provides various airport parking options, including long-term parking, covered parking, and valet services. Free shuttle services are available to and from the airport for added convenience.
Overall, Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) is the primary airport serving the Estero, FL area. It should be at the top of your list. It is the closest airport and it’s a pretty busy one so chances are you can find a flight here.
Regardless, we are taking a look at some other options. It’s always nice to compare flight prices as you may just stumble upon some super discounts.
Punta Gorda Airport (Florida) (PGD)
One more airport you can consider is Punta Gorda Airport (PGD). Here’s an overview of PGD and the transportation options available to and from the airport.
Overview of PGD
- Punta Gorda Airport (PGD) is a public airport located three miles east of Punta Gorda in Charlotte County, Florida.
- The airport is owned by the Charlotte County Airport Authority and has mainly been used for general aviation.
- In recent years, PGD has seen an increase in scheduled airline service, with flights offered by airlines such as Allegiant Air.
- PGD is also home to the Florida International Air Show, an annual event that features various military demonstration teams.
Flight Routes and Airlines Serving PGD
- Punta Gorda Airport offers flights to various destinations in the eastern United States.
- Allegiant Air is the primary airline serving PGD, with flights to 29 destinations.
- Other airlines, such as Sun Country Airlines, have also operated flights to and from PGD in the past.
Transportation Options to and from PGD
- Ground transportation options at PGD include car rental services, taxi services, and shuttle services.
- Ample parking is available at the airport.
PGD is a nice airport to consider when traveling to Estero. It’s a bit further from town but it’s still a reasonable distance and you have some opportunities to grab a discount on your flight ticket.
Sarasota–Bradenton International Airport (SRQ)
Another airport you can consider that’s near Estero is Sarasota–Bradenton International Airport (SRQ). Here’s an overview of SRQ and the transportation options available to and from the airport.
Overview of SRQ
Sarasota–Bradenton International Airport is located within three jurisdictions: Sarasota County, the city limits of Sarasota, and the city limits of Bradenton. The airport is 3 miles north of Downtown Sarasota and 6 miles south of Bradenton.
Flight Routes and Airlines Serving SRQ
SRQ offers non-stop passenger flights to domestic destinations. The airport is well-connected to various cities in the United States. Here are some popular destinations that you can fly to from SRQ:
There are 11 airlines that operate flights to and from SRQ, including Allegiant, Southwest Airlines, and American Airlines.
Transportation Options to and from SRQ
To make your journey to Estero smooth and convenient, there are several transportation options available at SRQ. Here are some options to consider:
- Taxi and Limo Service: You can arrange for a taxi or limo pick-up in the second lane of the Ground Transportation queuing area. A taxi starter will be available near the exit door to the Ground Transportation area to assist you. Several local hotels also offer pre-arranged shuttle service.
- Public Transportation: The Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) bus and Manatee County Area Transit (MCAT) bus make regular stops at the airport. These buses provide transportation to downtown Sarasota and downtown Bradenton. You can find bus schedules and fare information by contacting the transit companies directly.
- Ride-sharing Services: You can request a ride with Uber or Lyft by connecting to their rideshare app. Instructions on where to meet your driver can be found in the app. Signs are also available at the airport pointing to the designated pickup zone.
Now SRQ airport is good to consider if you want to have as many options as possible. We can imagine that you get a cheap ticket and a friend will pick you up from the airport. However, it is unlikely that you pay for the transfer and the ticket, and you are better off than simply flying to RSW.
Miami International Airport (MIA)
Miami International Airport is probably one of the busiest airports near Estero. However, it is already a great distance from town so you need to consider the extra transfer you do after touching down.
- MIA is the fourteenth busiest airport in the United States, with almost 46 million passengers in 2019.
- It offers nonstop flights to over 100 international destinations and is the second busiest airport in the US for international passengers.
- The airport has three main terminals – North, Central, and South – with six concourses (D, E, F, G, H, and J).
- Concourse D is the largest and operates international and domestic flights, while Concourses E, F, G, H, and J serve both international and domestic destinations.
Flight Routes and Airlines Serving MIA
- International Flights: MIA has nonstop flights to 184 destinations in 63 countries. Some popular international routes include London, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Frankfurt, Toronto, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago, and Bogotá.
- Domestic Flights: MIA operates numerous domestic flights to cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
Airlines that operate at MIA include American Airlines (a major hub for the airline), Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, JetBlue Airways, and many more.
Transportation Options to and from MIA
There are several transportation options available to travel to and from Miami International Airport:
- Shuttles: Various shuttle services, such as SuperShuttle, Groundlink, and Blacklane, provide transportation between MIA and Estero. These shuttles offer shared rides and private shuttles, depending on your preferences.
- Taxis & Ride Apps: Taxicabs and ride app pick-up zones are located on the arrival level of the airport, outside the baggage claim areas. You can easily find taxis or book a ride through popular ride app services like Uber or Lyft.
- Rental Cars: Several car rental companies are available at MIA, offering a convenient option for those who prefer to drive themselves.
- Public Transportation: Miami International Airport is well-connected to the city’s public transportation system. You can take the Miami Mover to the MIA Rental Car Center or use the City of Miami Trolley to reach destinations in the area.
Although Miami is far from the first choice when traveling to Estero it’s certainly an airport to check. Especially if you are an international traveler as MIA has one of the best international flight routes available in Florida.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
The closest airport to Estero is Southwest Florida International Airport. It’s around 14 miles away.
Yes, Southwest Florida International Airport has multiple international fight routes. Miami Airport is also nearby which is well connected to the rest of the world.