Fredericksburg is a pleasant town located halfway between Richmond and Washington. In this article, we’ll help people traveling here. We are taking a look at the most convenient airports near Fredericksburg, VA.
While Fredericksburg does not have its own commercial airport, the town’s convenient location means that it’s easily accessible via multiple major airports. We are going to explore these options and see which airports you should choose depending on your travel needs.
But first, let us show you a quick rundown of the airports near Fredericksburg. If you want a quick peek then this list is for you:
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- Major airport with a great variety of flight options
- Washington Dulles International Airport
- Washington’s other airport is just as suitable for traveling to Fredericksburg
- Richmond International Airport
- If you want to avoid the Washington area then Richmond is your airport
- Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport
- Small regional airport
- Stafford Regional Airport
- Private and Corporate Flights
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, commonly referred to as DCA is one of the major airports near Fredericksburg, VA. Here are some key points about this airport:
- Location: DCA is situated just 5 miles (8.0 km) from downtown Washington D.C., making it easily accessible.
- Operations: The airport is owned by the federal government and operated by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA).
- Perimeter Rule: DCA primarily serves as a short-haul airport, offering nonstop service to destinations within a 1250-mile perimeter from Washington D.C. as part of the federally-instituted Perimeter Rule.
- Exceptions to Perimeter Rule: Over the years, the federal government has granted exceptions to the Perimeter Rule, allowing daily flights to several cities beyond the perimeter, including Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and more.
- Runway and Slot Restrictions: DCA has a slot rule in place, limiting the number of landings and takeoffs to 62 per hour. This rule was implemented to reduce congestion at the airport.
- Passenger Facilities: The airport has a range of passenger facilities, including shops, restaurants, and amenities to ensure a comfortable travel experience for all passengers.
- Airline Options: DCA serves as a hub for several major airlines, including American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, offering a variety of domestic flights.
- International Flights: While DCA is primarily used for domestic flights, there are a few international flights to destinations in Canada and the Caribbean. For international travel, other airports in the region, such as Washington Dulles International Airport, are more suitable.
DCA is a great choice when flying to Fredericksburg. It’s a busy airport, however, the slot rule and perimeter rule are both great for reducing congestion and traffic. If you can find a cheap flight to DCA then we definitely recommend this one.
Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
Overview of Washington Dulles International Airport
Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) is the largest airport serving the Washington D.C. metropolitan area. It is located in Dulles, Virginia, approximately 26 miles from downtown Washington D.C. The airport occupies a total land area of 11,184 acres and has a rich history and extensive facilities.
Here are some key details about Washington Dulles International Airport:
- Terminal: The airport features a terminal designed by renowned architect Eero Saarinen. The original terminal cost $108.3 million and was later expanded to a total of 1.1 million square feet.
- Gates: Washington Dulles International Airport has 113 airline gates, with Concourse A having 31 United Express Commuter gates and 12 mainline gates.
- Runways: The airport has four runways, including 1L/19R (9,400 feet), 1C/19C (11,500 feet), 1R/19L (11,500 feet), and 12/30 (10,500 feet). Another parallel runway has been planned but has not yet been constructed.
- Parking: The airport offers parking for over 24,000 vehicles, including options for valet, hourly, daily, and economy parking. Payment can be made in cash, American Express, MasterCard, and Visa.
- Shopping and Dining: Washington Dulles International Airport boasts a wide range of shopping and dining options, with nearly 100 food and retail shops throughout the airport. Concourse B is particularly renowned for its retail space, offering 13,000 square feet of shopping opportunities.
Airlines and Direct Flights
Washington Dulles International Airport is served by numerous airlines and offers a variety of direct flights to domestic and international destinations. Some of the major airlines operating at the airport include United Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and Southwest Airlines.
- Domestic Flights: The airport offers direct flights to major cities across the United States, including Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, and more.
- International Flights: Washington Dulles International Airport provides direct flights to destinations around the world, such as London, Paris, Frankfurt, Dubai, Beijing, Tokyo, and many others.
Without question, IAD is the airport with the most flight routes near Fredericksburg, VA. We highly recommend checking ticket prices to this airport as there is usually something cheap. It’s a nice alternative to DCA.
Richmond International Airport (RIC)
Richmond International Airport (RIC) is a modern and well-equipped airport located just seven miles from Richmond’s central business district.
It serves as the gateway to Virginia’s Capital Region and attracts millions of visitors each year. With six air carriers operating at RIC, there are multiple options for travelers looking to fly to and from Fredericksburg and other nearby destinations.
Overview of Richmond International Airport
- Location: Richmond International Airport is located 65 miles from Fredericksburg making it a nice choice
- Facilities: The airport offers a range of facilities and amenities to enhance the travel experience, including dining options, retail stores, and business centers.
- The airport is an important hub in Virginia offering non-stop flights from all over the nation.
Airlines and Direct Flights
- Allegiant Air
- American Airlines
- Delta Air Lines
- JetBlue Airways
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines
These airlines offer non-stop flights to major domestic destinations, providing convenient options for travelers from Fredericksburg and the surrounding areas.
Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport (CHO)
The Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport (CHO) is a non-hub commercial service airport located eight miles north of Charlottesville in Albemarle County, Virginia. It offers a range of domestic and international destinations, making it a convenient option for travelers in the area.
Overview of Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport
- CHO has a 60,000 sq. ft. terminal facility with modern customer amenities, including rental cars, ground transportation, and food service.
- The airport has a single runway, 3/21, which is 6,801 feet long and 150 feet wide.
- It is equipped with LED lighting, improving visibility and reducing maintenance and electric costs.
- The executive terminal offers a full-service fixed-base operation, flight school, and aircraft charter firms.
- General aviation facilities provide services such as flight schools and emergency medical transportation.
Airlines and Direct Flights
- CHO is served by Delta, United Express, and American Airlines, offering over 50 daily non-stop flights to major cities such as Charlotte, Philadelphia, New York/LaGuardia, Washington/Dulles, Atlanta, and Chicago.
- The airport has multiple airlines operating a variety of aircraft, including ERJ-145, E170, E175, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, CRJ-900, 717, and 737-800.
- Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport Authority ensures a smooth operation with excellent customer service for both domestic and international flights.
Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport is a nice choice if you want to avoid some high-traffic areas. This is definitely a smaller regional airport but it’s still pretty close to Fredericksburg.
Stafford Regional Airport
Stafford Regional Airport is a public airport located just three miles southwest of the central business district of Stafford, Virginia. Whether you’re looking to take a private flight, fly a general aviation plane, or travel on a corporate jet, Stafford Regional Airport offers the necessary facilities and services.
Stafford Regional Airport is an excellent option for private flights, offering a range of services and amenities.
Whether you’re traveling for business or leisure, flying privately provides numerous advantages, including flexibility in scheduling, personalized service, and the ability to avoid crowded commercial airports.
By choosing Stafford Regional Airport for your private flight, you can enjoy a seamless travel experience and the convenience of a nearby airport.
General Aviation Planes
General aviation planes play a crucial role at Stafford Regional Airport, catering to a diverse range of aviation enthusiasts and professionals.
The airport provides a welcoming environment for general aviation pilots and their aircraft, offering services such as fuel availability, maintenance facilities, and hangar leasing options.
Whether you’re an experienced pilot or just starting your aviation journey, Stafford Regional Airport is equipped to meet your needs.
Unsurprisingly, Corporate jets are a common sight at Stafford Regional Airport, with many business travelers opting for the convenience and efficiency of private jet travel. Corporate jets provide a luxurious and comfortable flying experience, allowing professionals to maximize their productivity during transit.
With its proximity to major business centers and its range of services for corporate jets, Stafford Regional Airport is a popular choice for business travelers in the Fredericksburg area.
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport is the closest major airport to Fredericksburg, VA
Dulles International Airport is the largest airport in the D.C. metropolitan area.
Yes, Stafford Regional Airport offers services for private jet rentals.