Get ready for a comfy ride and a convenient travel plan as we will look at the best airports near Hartford, CT. When you are traveling to Hartford it’s important to know your options so you can choose a flight that fits your budget.
Hartford has a few airports nearby. The obvious choice is Bradley International Airport. It’s well connected to the rest of the nation and it is very close to the city center.
However, if you would like to know more about the airports near Hartford, CT we suggest that you read on. We’ll highlight the details of each airport making it easy for you to choose between them.
Airports near Hartford, CT at a glance
First up is our summary of this article. Yep, we’ve put it at the top and not at the bottom. This is for those who are not interested in the details but just want the info they came for.
- Bradley International Airport (BDL / KBDL): This is the closest major airport to Hartford, CT, offering international and domestic flights. It is located just a short distance from the center of Hartford.
- Hartford-Brainard Airport (KHFD / HFD): This airport is another option near Hartford, CT, offering domestic flights. It has a long history as one of the first municipal airports in the country.
- Tweed New Haven Regional Airport (HVN): Small regional airport which adds extra options to your travel plans. Consider, but only if you find a great deal.
Bradley International Airport (BDL)
If you’re planning a trip to Hartford, Connecticut, Bradley International Airport (BDL) is the primary airport serving the area. Here’s an overview of BDL and why it’s the best choice for your travel needs.
Overview of Bradley International Airport
- Located in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, BDL is the second-largest airport in New England.
- It served over 6.75 million passengers in 2019, making it a bustling hub for travelers.
- BDL is known for its reliability, with good departure reliability and security wait times.
- The airport has received positive ratings for its on-time performance and departure reliability.
Flight options and International connections
- BDL offers direct flights to over 30 destinations, including several major cities in the United States.
- You can find direct flights from BDL to popular destinations like Atlanta, Orlando, and Toronto.
- The airport also has international connections, with direct flights to cities in Canada and the Caribbean.
Local Major Airport in Hartford
- BDL is the major airport serving the Hartford region, offering convenient access for travelers.
- It is located approximately halfway between Hartford and Springfield, Massachusetts.
- The airport is easily accessible by car, with parking options available for those driving to the airport.
BDL is the best choice when traveling to Hartford
- With its extensive flight options and international connections, BDL offers convenient travel options for both domestic and international travelers.
- The airport’s reliability and positive ratings for departure reliability and security wait times make it a trusted choice for travelers.
- Whether you’re visiting Hartford for business or pleasure, choosing BDL as your arrival or departure point ensures a smooth travel experience.
Overall, Bradley International Airport (BDL) is the top choice for travelers heading to Hartford, Connecticut. Its wide range of flight options, international connections, and excellent reliability make it the preferred airport for both domestic and international travelers.
Tweed New Haven Regional Airport (HVN)
Tweed New Haven Regional Airport (HVN) is a public airport located three miles southeast of downtown New Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut. It is one of two airports with regularly scheduled commercial service in Connecticut, offering domestic flights and local connections.
Overview of Tweed New Haven Regional Airport
- HVN is partly located in the City of New Haven, which owns the airport, and partly in the town of East Haven.
- The airport is included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2017-2021.
- Tweed New Haven Airport opened for traffic on August 29, 1931, and has since been serving the region with commercial air service.
Domestic flights and local connections
- Tweed New Haven Regional Airport offers nonstop service to fourteen destinations on the East Coast.
- Avelo Airlines operates flights from HVN to various cities, making it a convenient option for both business and leisure travel.
- The airport provides a different, better, and more affordable travel experience compared to larger congested airports.
Can be a viable alternative
- Tweed New Haven Airport can be a viable alternative for travelers based in New Haven and surrounding areas who prefer not to drive to larger airports.
- The airport provides easy access to charming seaports, small-town inns, off-Broadway theaters, casinos, and the local cuisine, including delicious lobster dishes.
- With its nonstop service to multiple destinations, HVN offers a hassle-free and time-saving travel option.
Tweed New Haven Regional Airport is a nice alternative airport for Hartford, CT, however, it’s definitely smaller than BDL. We suggest that you check prices at this airport but unless you find an epic deal then you stick to BDL.
Hartford – Brainard Airport (KHFD)
Located just 3 miles southeast of downtown Hartford, Hartford – Brainard Airport (KHFD) is a premier general aviation facility serving central Connecticut. It offers a range of services and facilities to cater to the needs of private and business aircraft owners.
Hartford – Brainard Airport is a General Aviation airport and it should be your pick if you fly your own plane or private jet to Hartford.
Overview of Hartford – Brainard Airport
- Size: The airport covers 201 acres
- Runways: It has three runways, including an asphalt runway and a turf runway
- Ownership: The airport is owned by the Connecticut Airport Authority
- Designation: It is designated as a regional reliever airport
General aviation facility and services
- Services: The airport offers a full range of FBO (Fixed Base Operator) aviation business services, including fueling, ground support, aircraft repair, avionics, and flight school training.
- Tenant facilities: There are numerous airport tenant facilities available
- Aviation maintenance training: Hartford – Brainard Airport is home to the Connecticut Aero Tech School, which offers training programs in aviation maintenance technology fields
- Reliever airport: As a reliever airport for Bradley International Airport, Hartford–Brainard Airport helps improve general aviation access to the community by relieving congestion at nearby commercial service airports
The Airports of New York
If you’re looking for airports near Hartford, CT, the airports in New York can be good options to consider. Not only can they often offer cheaper flights, but they are also conveniently located within a reasonable distance to Hartford.
One of the options is the Newark Liberty International Airport, which is located in Newark, New Jersey, just a short distance from New York City.
Another option is the John F. Kennedy International Airport, located in the borough of Queens in New York City. Both of these airports offer a range of domestic and international flight options.
The major airports in Connecticut include Bradley International Airport (BDL), Tweed-New Haven Airport (HVN)
Bradley International Airport (BDL) is the main airport in Hartford, Connecticut, offering commercial flights to various domestic destinations.