Planning a trip to Johnson City, Tennessee? In case you are wondering where to fly then we’ve got some great travel tips for you. Today we are taking a look at the most convenient airports near Johnson City, TN.
Not only we are checking the airports but we’ll give you some tips on which one to choose based on your travel plans. We’ll also give you some pointers on transportation and flight connections for each airport. So let’s get into it!
Having multiple airports nearby offers flexibility when it comes to flight choices and potentially finding better deals. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, this guide will help you plan your Johnson City travel effectively.
Overview of Airports near Johnson City
First order of business: We’ll get you a nice list of the airport options available. We value your time and we know that you might not be interested in the details. So, find the list of airports nearby below. The distances are approximate road distances and the best choices are highlighted in bold text.
|Distance from Johnson City
|Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
|Knoxville McGhee Tyson (TYS)
It’s important to note that these distances are approximate and may vary depending on the exact location within Johnson City.
Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI)
Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI) is the closest airport to Johnson City, Tennessee. Located in Blountville, TN, TRI serves the Tri-Cities area of Bristol, Kingsport, and Johnson City.
Due to the distance of Tri-Cities airport compared the any other airport nearby this is most likely the place you’ll travel to. Without a doubt. TRI is the airport of choice if you can find a flight to this town.
Overview of Tri-Cities Regional Airport
- Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI) is located in Blountville, Tennessee, just a short distance from Johnson City.
- It is governed by the Tri-Cities Airport Authority and serves as the primary airport for the region.
- The airport covers an area of 1,250 acres and has two runways.
- It offers various facilities and services, including restaurants, lounges, and car rental options.
Airlines and Destinations
- The airport is served by several major airlines, including American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and Allegiant Air.
- These airlines offer flights to various destinations across the United States, including Charlotte, Atlanta, and Orlando.
- However, it’s important to note that the flight options from Tri-Cities Regional Airport can be limited compared to larger international airports.
In conclusion, Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI) is the closest major airport to Johnson City, Tennessee. While it may have limited flight options compared to larger airports, it can still be a convenient choice for travelers in the Tri-Cities area.
Asheville Regional Airport (AVL)
If you’re located in or planning to visit Johnson City, Tennessee, and looking for convenient airport options, Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) is worth considering.
You may need to consider a transfer from AVL but it has a bit more flight options than the local Tri-Cities airport. Check the prices and if you see something super cheap then take a look at your transfer option. Otherwise, stick to the local airport at Johnson City.
Here’s what you need to know about this airport:
Overview of AVL
- AVL is located 17 miles south of Asheville, North Carolina, accessible via Interstate 26.
- It is known as one of the best-connected regional airports in the country, offering easy connections to and from Western North Carolina.
- The airport has a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, providing passengers with a hassle-free travel experience.
Airlines and Destinations
- Several major airlines serve AVL, including Allegiant, Delta, United, and US Airways.
- Passengers can fly to various cities in the United States, including New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, Houston, and Charlotte.
- The airport also offers connecting service to international flights via the airport in Charlotte.
Overall, AVL offers more options for travelers but also higher transfer times. You should only consider this airport if you find some amazing flight tickets.
Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) is one of the busiest airports in the world, serving nearly 48 million passengers in 2022. With a record-breaking number of passengers in 2019, CLT offers a wide range of facilities and services to ensure a smooth travel experience.
Without question, CLT is the best connected among the airports near Johnson City, TN. However, it’s already quite far away so you may be looking at a connecting flight or extra transport options.
Overview of CLT
- Located in Charlotte, North Carolina, CLT is approximately 141 miles away from Johnson City, Tennessee.
- The airport has a total of 178 destinations, including 36 international locations and three U.S. territories.
- It is served by eight major carriers, 15 regional carriers, and three foreign flag carriers.
- CLT has a comprehensive range of amenities, including shops, restaurants, lounges, and Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Ground transportation options are available, such as taxis, buses, trains, and ride-sharing services like Uber.
Transfer or Connecting Flight
If you don’t mind driving then you can easily rent a car at the airport and do the 141 miles by yourself. It’s not ideal to jump straight into a car for a long drive after a flight but it’s doable.
You may also just get a connecting flight here to Tri-Cities Airport. CLT and TRI are well connected with many regional carriers offering flights.
It’s also possible to arrange a private transfer, however, that option might get pricey.
Overall, CLT is the best major airport near Johnson City but the actual distance is quite high. Consider ticket + transfer prices when booking here.
McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS)
McGhee Tyson Airport is a public and military airport located 12 miles south of Knoxville in Alcoa, Tennessee. It is named after pilot Charles McGhee Tyson and is owned by the Metropolitan Knoxville Airport Authority. The airport serves as a major transportation hub for the region and offers a range of amenities and services for travelers.
Can Be an Alternative When Flying to Johnson City
TYS airport can be considered when you can’t find anything for the other airports we have listed. It’s not the ideal candidate when we are discussing airports near Johnson City but it’s a viable option. Make sure to check out the ticket prices and you may just catch a superb deal.