When planning a trip to Lexington, Virginia, it is essential to consider the nearest airports for convenient travel. Knowing the airports in close proximity allows for better planning, considering factors such as distance, airlines served, and transportation options. Today we are taking a look at the details of airports near Lexington, Virginia.
When it comes to Lexington you’ve got a couple of nice choices. Ranging from small to medium-sized airports you can mix and match your flight routes based on availability and affordability.
So, without further ado let’s get into this list of the airports near Lexington. As always, we go from our favorite choice to other airports that you can consider but are not necessarily the best.
Lynchburg Regional Airport
If you are traveling to or from Lexington VA, one of the closest airports to consider is Lynchburg Regional Airport (LYH). Here are some details about this airport:
- Location and Distance from Lexington VA: Lynchburg Regional Airport is located approximately 34.3 miles (55.2 kilometers) from Lexington.
- Services and Facilities at Lynchburg Regional Airport: Lynchburg Regional Airport offers a range of services and facilities for travelers, including:
- Commercial passenger service provided by American Airlines’ regional carrier, American Eagle, with service through Charlotte International Airport.
- Up to seven arrivals and seven departures most days, with varied hours.
- On-site car rental companies located inside the passenger terminal.
- Bus service on the Greater Lynchburg Transit Company (GLTC).
- Easy access to parking lots, with both Close-In and Economy options available.
- Incline ramps and handrails on the sidewalks to assist those with special needs.
Lynchburg is a nice airport when flying to Lexington but as it’s a smaller regional airport you might have to take a connecting flight.
Roanoke–Blacksburg Regional Airport
Roanoke–Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA) is the closest major airport to Lexington, VA, located in Roanoke, Virginia, approximately 49 miles away from Lexington. This airport offers convenient access to the region and connects to various domestic and international destinations through major airlines such as American Airlines, Delta Airlines, United Airlines, and Allegiant Air.
Services and Facilities at Roanoke–Blacksburg Regional Airport
Roanoke–Blacksburg Regional Airport provides a range of services and facilities to ensure a comfortable and convenient travel experience for passengers. Some of the amenities offered include:
- Complimentary Wi-Fi internet access throughout the terminal.
- Multiple cafes offer a variety of food and beverages, including freshly made items and pre-packaged meals and snacks.
- Ground transportation options, including Uber and Lyft, to easily travel to and from the airport and explore the surrounding area.
- ATMs are available for convenient cash withdrawal.
- Wheelchair-accessible facilities and assistance for passengers with disabilities.
- Volunteer airport ambassadors to answer any questions or concerns about flights or travel.
- Service animal relief areas for passengers traveling with service animals.
- Pet-friendly areas with grass and disposable bags for pets to stretch their legs and take potty breaks.
Roanoke–Blacksburg Regional Airport is possibly the best choice when traveling to Lexington, VA. It’s close and it’s quite a reasonably sized airport with nice connections to the rest of the US.
Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport
The airport is conveniently situated in the picturesque Shenandoah Valley region, making it easily accessible for travelers from Lexington and the surrounding areas.
Services and Facilities at Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport
Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport (SHD) offers a range of services and facilities:
- Daily Commercial Airline Flights: Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport offers daily commercial airline flights, making it easy to travel to various destinations worldwide from Lexington, VA.
- Free Parking: The airport provides free parking for travelers, regardless of the duration of their trip. This eliminates the hassle and expense of finding parking and allows for a stress-free start to your journey.
- Reliable Flights: The airport has a reputation for its reliable flights, ensuring that you can count on timely departures and arrivals. This can make your travel plans more convenient and efficient.
- Easy-to-Navigate Facility: Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport is designed to be user-friendly, with easy navigation throughout the terminal. This helps to minimize any confusion or stress during your time at the airport.
- Relaxing Atmosphere: The airport aims to create a relaxing and welcoming environment for travelers. Whether you’re waiting for your flight or have just arrived, you can enjoy a calm and comfortable atmosphere.
Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport, also known as CHO, is one of the regional airports serving Lexington VA.
It’s a nice alternative airport but it does not offer a lot of flexibility. Only consider Charlottesville airport if you find a superb deal, otherwise, the other airports are better picks.
Location and Distance from Lexington VA
- Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport is located approximately 59.3 miles (95.4 kilometers) from Lexington VA.
Services and Facilities at Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport
- The airport offers daily non-stop flights to and from various destinations including Charlotte, Philadelphia, New York/LaGuardia, Washington/Dulles, Atlanta, and Chicago.
- The airport has a 60,000 sq. ft. terminal facility with modern customer amenities including on-site car rental, ground transportation, and food service.
- General aviation facilities include an executive terminal offering a full-service fixed base operation, flight school, and aircraft charter firms.
Richmond International Airport
Located in the capital of Virginia, Richmond International Airport (RIC) is one of the most modern and well-equipped airports in the eastern US. It is the primary gateway to central Virginia and offers a range of domestic and international flights. Here is some useful information about Richmond International Airport:
Overview of Richmond International Airport
- Richmond International Airport is the 64th busiest airport in the United States and the 3rd busiest in Virginia.
- It is a joint civil-military airfield that serves both commercial and military aircraft.
- The airport is served by major airlines such as American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and JetBlue Airways, among others.
- It has a range of amenities and services, including restaurants, shops, rental car facilities, and airport lounges.
- Richmond International Airport has received recognition for its commitment to sustainability and green practices.
Transportation options to Lexington VA from Richmond
- There are several transportation options available to travel from Richmond International Airport to Lexington, VA.
- Shuttle services, town cars, SUVs, and limos are provided by reputable companies such as Supershuttle, Groundlink, and Blacklane.
- Shared shuttle vans are usually the most affordable option, while private shuttles offer more comfort and convenience.
- It is also possible to book a rental car at the airport and drive to Lexington.
- Additionally, there are bus services available that connect Richmond and Lexington, with a travel time of around 9 hours and 20 minutes.