When traveling to or from Brooklyn, New York, it’s essential to know which airports are nearby and convenient for your journey. In this article, we will compare and list the airports near New York to help you plan your trip efficiently.
|Airport||Distance from Brooklyn||Major Airlines|
|John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)||12 miles||Multiple|
|LaGuardia Airport (LGA)||12 miles||Multiple|
|Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)||23 miles||Multiple|
|Long Island MacArthur Airport (ISP)||50 miles||Multiple|
|Stewart International Airport (SWF)||60 miles||Multiple|
Our quick comparison table allows a peek inside the airports near New York. If this is the quick info that you came for then we are happy to help. In the rest of this article, we will take a closer look at each choice to find out the differences between them.
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) is one of the major airports near Brooklyn, New York. Here is an overview of JFK Airport, the airlines, and flight routes available, and the transportation options for getting to Brooklyn from JFK.
Overview of JFK Airport
- JFK Airport is the main international airport serving New York City.
- It is located in the neighborhood of Queens, approximately 16 miles southeast of Manhattan.
- The airport features five passenger terminals and four runways.
- Over 90 airlines operate from JFK, offering nonstop or direct flights to destinations all over the world.
- It is a hub for both domestic and international flights.
Airlines and Flight Routes Available
- JFK Airport offers a wide range of airlines and flight routes, providing travelers with various options for their journeys.
- Major airlines such as Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, and JetBlue Airways operate from JFK.
- Nonstop flights from JFK are available to destinations in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Oceania.
Getting to Brooklyn NY from JFK
- There are several transportation options for getting from JFK Airport to Brooklyn.
- The AirTrain is the most convenient way to travel to and from JFK. It connects the airport to Howard Beach and Jamaica Station, where you can transfer to subway lines for access to Brooklyn.
- Ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft are also available for convenient and private transportation.
- The NYC Airport Express Bus offers direct service from JFK to major transportation centers in Manhattan, where you can transfer to subway lines for travel to Brooklyn.
- Shared-ride vans and private car services can be arranged in advance for a more personalized and comfortable journey.
Without question, JFK is one of the most well-known airports not just in the US but around the world. It will be the first choice for most travelers and it’s one of the best airports when you are flying to Brooklyn, New York.
LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
LaGuardia Airport (LGA) is a major airport located in East Elmhurst, Queens, New York City. It covers an area of 680 acres and has been operating as a public airport since 1939.
As one of the busiest airports in the United States, it offers a wide range of domestic and international flights.
Overview of LGA Airport
- Location: East Elmhurst, Queens, New York City
- Size: 680 acres
- Established: 1929 (public airport since 1939)
- Named after: Fiorello LaGuardia, former mayor of New York City
- Passenger volume: One of the busiest airports in the US
Airlines and Flight Routes Available
- Airlines: LGA Airport accommodates numerous airlines, including Air Canada, American Airlines, Delta, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit, United, and WestJet.
- Domestic and international destinations: LGA offers flights to 86 destinations within the United States and abroad.
Here is a list of some popular domestic destinations from LGA Airport:
- Chicago, Illinois
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Los Angeles, California
- Miami, Florida
- Dallas, Texas
Getting to NY Brooklyn from LGA
- Distance: The driving distance between LaGuardia Airport and Brooklyn depends on your specific destination within Brooklyn, ranging from 10-23 miles.
- Transportation options: To get from LGA to Brooklyn, you can choose from various modes of transportation, including:
- Taxi or ride-sharing: The most convenient and fastest option is to take a cab or use a ride-sharing app like Uber or Lyft. The travel time can range from 25 minutes to over an hour, depending on traffic conditions.
- Public transportation: Although it may be more time-consuming, taking public transportation to Brooklyn is a cheaper option. You can take the Q70 bus from all airport terminals to Roosevelt Avenue. From there, you can transfer to the E or M train, or take the N train, which will drop you off at the Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn.
- Car rental: If you prefer to drive yourself, you can rent a car at LGA Airport. However, parking in New York City can be expensive and challenging, so it is generally not recommended.
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) is one of the three major airports serving the New York City area, along with John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA).
Located in Newark, New Jersey, EWR is a popular choice for travelers flying into Brooklyn and the surrounding areas.
Overview of EWR Airport
- EWR is a large airport that offers a wide range of amenities and services for travelers. It has three passenger terminals, each with multiple concourses, making it easy for passengers to navigate the airport.
- The airport has a variety of dining, shopping, and entertainment options available, ensuring that passengers have a pleasant experience during their time at the airport.
- EWR is served by several major airlines, including United Airlines, which operates a hub at the airport. This provides passengers with a good selection of flight options when flying into or out of the airport.
Airlines and Flight Routes Available
- Newark Liberty International Airport is a major hub for United Airlines, offering a wide selection of domestic and international flight routes.
- Other airlines that operate at EWR include American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, and Southwest Airlines, among others.
- The airport offers flights to various destinations across the United States, as well as to international locations in Europe, Asia, and South America.
Getting to Brooklyn from EWR
- The AirTrain Newark is a convenient and affordable option for getting from the airport to various locations in New Jersey, including Newark Penn Station, where you can connect to trains that will take you to Brooklyn.
- Another option is to take a taxi or a rideshare service from the airport to your destination in Brooklyn. This option provides a more direct and convenient way of getting to your destination, but it can be more expensive.
Overall, Newark Liberty International Airport is a convenient choice for travelers flying into Brooklyn. With its range of flight options and transportation connections, getting to your destination in Brooklyn from EWR is relatively easy. 
Long Island MacArthur Airport (ISP)
Located in Ronkonkoma, Long Island MacArthur Airport is a convenient option for travelers heading to Brooklyn. Here’s an overview of the airport and how to get to Brooklyn from Long Island MacArthur Airport:
Overview of Long Island MacArthur Airport
Long Island MacArthur Airport, also known as Islip Airport, serves Nassau and Suffolk counties as an alternative to the busy airports in New York City.
With three runways and two helipads, the airport handles about two million passengers annually. It offers a less congested and more punctual travel experience compared to other airports in the region.
Further but might get good discount flights
While Long Island MacArthur Airport is located further from Brooklyn than other major airports, it can still be a good option if you can find discounted flights.
The airport is served by several airlines, including Southwest Airlines and American Airlines, offering both domestic and international flights.
Getting to Brooklyn from Long Island Airport
To get to Brooklyn from Long Island MacArthur Airport, you have several transportation options:
- Shuttle Buses: Shuttle buses connect the airport to the Long Island Rail Road stations, which provide train service to Brooklyn.
- Taxis: Taxis are available at the airport and can take you directly to Brooklyn. The fare will depend on your destination within Brooklyn.
- Rental Cars: Renting a car is another option if you prefer to have your own transportation during your stay in Brooklyn.
Stewart International Airport (SWF)
Overview of SWF Airport: Stewart International Airport (SWF) is a public/military airport located in New Windsor, New York, approximately 60 miles north of New York City.
It is a major airport in the mid-Hudson region and serves as a hub for commercial, military, and private flights. SWF offers a range of amenities and services for travelers, including parking, dining options, and rental car facilities.
Getting to NY Brooklyn from SWF:
There are various transportation options available to travel from SWF to Brooklyn. Here are some common methods:
- Train: Take the train from SWF to New York Penn Station and then transfer to Brooklyn via subway or taxi. The train journey takes approximately 1 hour and 29 minutes.
- Shuttle Service: Several shuttle services operate between SWF and Brooklyn, providing convenient door-to-door transportation. Prices and schedules may vary, so it is recommended to book in advance.
- Car Rental: Renting a car from SWF and driving to Brooklyn is another option. The driving distance between SWF and Brooklyn is approximately 75 miles, and the journey takes around 1 hour and 29 minutes.
Note: It is important to plan your travel according to your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as cost, convenience, and availability when choosing the best transportation option from SWF to Brooklyn.
- LaGuardia (LGA): Located closest to Manhattan, making it convenient for those staying or visiting in the city. It serves mostly domestic flights.
- John F. Kennedy (JFK): One of the largest international airports in the world, offering a wide range of flights to destinations worldwide. It can be busy and overwhelming, but it has efficient transportation options.
- Newark (EWR): Located in New Jersey, but easily accessible from Manhattan via NJ Transit train. It also offers a great alternative for international flights.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) about Airports near New York
There are four airports near New York City: LaGuardia (LGA), John F. Kennedy (JFK), Newark (EWR), and Stewart (SWF).
LaGuardia (LGA) is the closest airport to Manhattan, located approximately 10 miles away. However, John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Newark (EWR) are also easily accessible from Manhattan.