Traveling to Omaha, NE? Find the most convenient options with us as we take a look at all the airports near Omaha, NE. Whether you are flying in or out of Omaha we’ve got you covered with some amazing travel tips. Let’s start with a quick list:
- Eppley Airfield (OMA)
- The closest airport to Omaha, NE, and the biggest in Nebraska.
- Lincoln Airport (LNK)
- Medium sizes airport near Omaha, a great alternative
- Des Moines International Airport (DSM)
- Longer transfer times but an abundance of flight options at DMS
- Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
- MCI is one of the biggest airports in the area but you’ll be quite far from Omaha if you land here
- Sioux Gateway Airport (SUX)
Now that we’ve given you a quick run-down on the airports available let’s see how they compare to each other and let’s see some tips when choosing between the airports near Omaha, NE.
Eppley Airfield (OMA)
Eppley Airfield, located in Omaha, Nebraska, is the main airport serving the area. It is conveniently located just 3 miles northeast of downtown Omaha, making it easily accessible for travelers.
It is definitely the airport that should be your first choice. If you can find a flight to Eppley Airfield you’ll land at a convenient location only minutes away from Omaha’s downtown.
Overview of Eppley Airfield
- Eppley Airfield is the largest airport in Nebraska and serves the Greater Omaha area.
- It is classified as a medium hub airport by the FAA.
- Eppley Airfield has three runways.
- The airport covers 2,650 acres and has two main terminals: Concourse A and Concourse B.
- Concourse A serves airlines such as Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and Frontier Airlines.
- Concourse B serves airlines such as Allegiant Air, Southwest Airlines, and United Airlines.
- Eppley Airfield offers both domestic and international flights, with customs and inspection services available for international passengers.
Services and amenities at Eppley Airfield
- The airport provides free Wi-Fi throughout the terminals, allowing passengers to stay connected during their travels.
- Eppley Airfield offers designated children’s areas to keep young travelers entertained.
- There are several dining options available at the airport, including fast-food restaurants, sit-down restaurants, and coffee shops.
- Shopping options at Eppley Airfield range from gift shops and bookstores to electronics stores and clothing boutiques.
- The airport has designated curbside drop-off and pick-up areas for convenient passenger transportation.
- Parking options at Eppley Airfield include hourly, daily, and economy parking, as well as off-site parking facilities.
- Ground transportation services, such as rental cars, taxis, and public transportation, are readily available for travelers.
Eppley Airfield is definitely the top choice when traveling to Omaha. As the biggest airport in Nebraska, you should have no difficulty in finding cheap flights here.
However, if you would like to have some more options and opportunities for discounts on your flight ticket it’s worth looking at some alternative airports.
Lincoln Airport (LNK)
Lincoln Airport (LNK) is a medium-sized multi-use airport located approximately 4 miles north of Lincoln, Nebraska. While primarily serving the city of Lincoln, it is also a convenient option for travelers near Omaha, Nebraska.
Overview of Lincoln Airport:
- LNK is a medium-sized airport that offers a range of services and amenities for travelers.
- The airport features a number of airlines that provide nonstop flights to major destinations, including Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Las Vegas, Nashville, Orlando, Phoenix, and Tampa.
- LNK provides convenient and affordable parking options for travelers.
- The airport is known for its friendly and efficient staff, ensuring a pleasant travel experience for passengers.
Proximity to Omaha Nebraska and available routes:
- While Lincoln Airport is located in Lincoln, Nebraska, it serves as a viable option for travelers from Omaha due to its close proximity.
- Omaha residents can take advantage of the airport’s nonstop flights to major cities, allowing for convenient travel to various destinations.
- The airport’s proximity to Omaha makes it a viable alternative for those looking to save time and money on air travel.
It may not be as large as Omaha’s own airport but you may just find the perfect flight to Lincoln coupled with a cheap transfer. Way to save some money.
Des Moines International Airport (DSM)
Des Moines International Airport (DSM) is a commercial service airport located in Des Moines, Iowa, approximately 135 miles east of Omaha, Nebraska.
This airport offers convenient options for travelers looking to fly to or from Omaha. Here are some key details about Des Moines International Airport
- Location: Des Moines International Airport is situated 5 miles southwest of the capital city of Des Moines, Iowa.
- Airlines: The airport is served by six commercial airlines, including American Airlines, Allegiant, Delta, Frontier, Southwest, and United. These airlines provide a variety of domestic and international flight options.
- Services and amenities: Des Moines International Airport offers a range of services and amenities to enhance the passenger experience. These include Wi-Fi access, charging stations, food and beverage options, shops and retail stores, currency exchange services, rental car facilities, and more.
- Terminal facilities: The airport has a well-organized terminal layout with convenient facilities. There are two main concourses, Concourse A and Concourse C, which house various airlines and amenities. The Main Terminal serves as the hub for all airport services. Travelers can easily navigate between terminals through covered walkways or shuttle buses.
- Transportation options to Omaha: To travel from Des Moines International Airport to Omaha, there are several transportation options available. These include rental cars, shuttle services, taxis, and public transit. The distance between the two cities is approximately 135 miles, and the journey takes around two and a half hours by car.
Des Moines Airport may be far from Omaha but the variety of flight options available and the potential discounts might make it worth it. Just know that you’ll have to drive a lot or take a long transfer if you land in Des Moines.
Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
Overview of Kansas City International Airport
Kansas City International Airport, also known as MCI, is a major airport located in Kansas City, Missouri. It is the primary airport serving the Kansas City metropolitan area and is located approximately 200 miles southeast of Omaha, Nebraska.
MCI is the second-busiest airport in the state of Missouri and offers a range of amenities and services for travelers.
- Modern and spacious terminal: MCI recently underwent renovations and now features a new terminal that offers improved gate access and modern facilities.
- Domestic and international flights: While primarily a domestic airport, MCI also offers a limited number of international flights, including routes to Mexico and Canada.
- Dining and shopping: There are over 30 restaurants, cafes, and grab-and-go food counters at MCI, providing passengers with plenty of options for refreshments.
- Free Wi-Fi: MCI provides free Wi-Fi throughout the airport, allowing passengers to stay connected during their travels.
- Ground transportation: Passengers at MCI can easily access ground transportation options such as ride shares, taxis, shuttles, and public buses to reach their destination.
Available routes and transport to Omaha Nebraska
Although there are no direct flights from Kansas City International Airport to Omaha, Nebraska, there are several ways to travel between the two cities. Here are some options to consider:
- Rental cars: Renting a car from MCI and driving to Omaha is a convenient option, as the drive takes approximately 3.5 hours via I-29 N.
- Rideshares and shuttles: Services like Uber, Lyft, and airport shuttles can provide transportation from MCI to Omaha. These can be arranged in advance or upon arrival at the airport.
- Public transportation: RideKC buses operate between MCI and downtown Kansas City, where you can connect to other bus lines or train services to reach Omaha.
- Taxis: Taxis are available at MCI and can provide direct transportation to Omaha, though it is important to note that fares can be more expensive compared to other options.
Kansas City Airport is already a great distance from Omaha. We only recommend this airport if you have some heavy discount for flying here. In that case, it might be worth it but other than that the extra transfer time and potential transfer cost make this airport hard to recommend when traveling to Omaha.
Sioux Gateway Airport (SUX)
Overview of Sioux Gateway Airport
Sioux Gateway Airport (SUX), also known as Brigadier General Bud Day Field, is a public and military use airport located in Woodbury County, Iowa, United States.
It is situated about 100 miles north of Omaha,
Sioux Gateway Airport is served by United Express operated by SkyWest Airlines, which offers daily nonstop flights to Chicago and Denver.
The airport features amenities such as free Wi-Fi, workstations, telephone service, computer ports, and an onsite café and gift shop. The parking at Sioux Gateway Airport is only a two-minute walk to the door and offers the lowest rates in the region, eliminating the need for shuttles and high parking fees.
Limited Route Options
Due to its smaller size and regional location, Sioux Gateway Airport has limited route options compared to larger airports. However, it provides convenient access to two major hub cities, Chicago and Denver, through United Airlines’ large network. This allows travelers to connect to hundreds of domestic and international destinations.
It’s important to note that Sioux Gateway Airport may not offer as many flight options as major airports, so it’s recommended to check the availability of routes before making travel plans.
Additionally, it’s advisable to always check the latest requirements and regulations in place at other destinations, as mask requirements and other measures may still be in effect.