Find the most convenient airports near St. Petersburg, Florida for your travel needs with us. We are taking a look at all the options you should consider. Each airport has its own advantages and disadvantages.
There are a total of three different airports you need to check out when flying to St. Petersburg, FL. Of course, the local St. Petersburg-Clearwater Airport should be your first choice but the Tampa airport is not much further down the road.
It’s great to have multiple airports nearby as you can compare ticket prices and have more options. Having the ability to choose different times and airlines is always good.
Comparison table of airports near St. Petersburg Florida
Here is a comparison table of the airports near St. Petersburg, Florida:
|Airport Name||Distance from St. Petersburg||Types of Flights Offered|
|St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport||4 miles||Domestic flights|
|Tampa International Airport||22 miles||International and domestic flights|
|Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport||37 miles||Domestic flights|
St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE)
Overview of St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport
St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport, also known as PIE, is a public/military airport located in Pinellas County, Florida.
It is the third busiest airport serving the Tampa Bay area and offers a range of amenities and services for travelers.
Domestic Flights and Airlines
PIE primarily serves domestic flights and is a destination for several low-cost carriers.
It provides non-stop flights to more than 60 destinations, making it a convenient choice for travelers looking for affordable options. Some of the airlines operating at PIE include Allegiant Air, Sun Country Airlines, and Spirit Airlines.
Distance and Proximity to St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport is located just 4 miles north of St. Petersburg, making it easily accessible for residents and visitors.
The airport is well-connected to the Tampa Bay area and offers convenient transportation options for travelers.
St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport should be your number-one choice if you travel domestically. This airport has connections to every major US city and you should be able to find cheap tickets here. You’ll be right near the city center after touching down.
Tampa International Airport (TPA)
Tampa International Airport (TPA) is the primary airport serving the Tampa Bay area in Florida, United States. It is located just five miles west of downtown Tampa on the east shore of Tampa Bay.
The airport offers both international and domestic flights, making it a convenient choice for travelers from around the world.
Overview of Tampa International Airport
- Tampa International Airport is publicly owned by the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority (HCAA).
- The airport serves 93 non-stop destinations throughout the United States and beyond.
- It is one of the busiest airports in Florida, with multiple carriers operating flights to and from the airport.
- Tampa International Airport offers a range of services and amenities to make travelers’ experiences more comfortable and convenient, including free Wi-Fi.
International and Domestic Flights
- The airport serves as a hub for numerous airlines, including Allegiant Air, Sunwing Airlines, and SunCounty Airlines.
- It offers a wide range of international and domestic flights, connecting travelers to popular destinations across the globe.
Distance and Proximity to St. Petersburg
- Tampa International Airport is located approximately 17 miles from St. Petersburg, Florida, making it a convenient option for travelers visiting the area.
- The airport is easily accessible by various transportation options, including car rentals, rideshare services like Uber and Lyft, and shuttle services.
- The driving distance from Tampa International Airport to St. Petersburg is approximately 22 miles or 35 kilometers.
Tampa airport is so close to St. Petersburg, FL that it almost doubles your flight options. With many domestic airlines flying to both Tampa and St. Petersburg you’ve got plenty of choices to find cheap flights for a Florida trip.
Tampa should also be on the radar of international travelers as this airport sees a number of flight routes from all over the globe.
Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ)
Overview of Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport: Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) is a public airport located within three jurisdictions: Sarasota County, the city limits of Sarasota, and the city limits of Bradenton.
It is owned by the Sarasota Manatee Airport Authority and is situated 3 miles north of Downtown Sarasota and 6 miles south of Bradenton. The airport has a rich history dating back to World War II and covers approximately 1102 acres.
Domestic Flights and Connectivity:
- SRQ offers domestic flights and serves the areas of Sarasota, Manatee, and Bradenton.
- Airlines that operate at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport include Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines, United Express, US Airways, and US Airways Express.
- Delta Air Lines carries the largest number of passengers to and from Sarasota (54.35% of total passengers), followed by JetBlue Airways and United Airlines.
Distance and Proximity to St. Petersburg:
- Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport is located approximately 37 miles from Saint Petersburg, Florida.
- At this distance, it is a nice alternative airport to St. Petersburg.
Finally, you have the Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport as a great alternative airport near St. Petersburg, FL. It’s still a short drive from the downtown area and you can compare ticket prices between the three airports
FAQ – Airports near St. Petersburg, Florida
The local airport St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE) should be your first choice if you are a domestic traveler. International flyers should look at Tampa International Airport for flights.
There are a total of 3 airports that you should consider: PIE, TPA, and SRQ
St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport is served by airlines such as Allegiant Air, Sunwing Airlines, and Sun Country Airlines.
Ground transportation services such as taxis, shuttles, limos, and hotel courtesy vans can be found outside of Baggage Claim in the ground transportation lot.
When it comes to choosing the right airport for your travel to St Petersburg, Florida, there are two primary options: Tampa International Airport (TPA) and St Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE). Each airport has its advantages, and the choice ultimately depends on your specific needs. Here’s a summary to help you make an informed decision:
- TPA is larger and offers more flight options, making it suitable for travelers who prefer a wide range of destinations and nonstop flights.
- PIE, on the other hand, is smaller and easier to navigate, making it a convenient choice for those looking for a hassle-free travel experience.
- If you’re planning to visit St Petersburg proper or St Pete Beach, the drive from either airport is about the same, approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Clearwater Beach is closer to PIE, while TPA offers a greater variety of shuttle options.
- Parking at PIE is significantly cheaper than at TPA, making it a budget-friendly option.
- Other nearby airports, like Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ), can also be considered, depending on your travel plans.
Why visit St Petersburg FL?
St Petersburg, Florida, is a popular destination for its award-winning beaches, vibrant arts scene, and numerous attractions. Here are a few reasons why you should consider visiting:
- Beautiful beaches: St Petersburg is home to some of the most stunning beaches, such as St Pete Beach and Clearwater Beach, where you can relax and soak up the sun.
- Cultural attractions: The city boasts several museums, including the Salvador Dali Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts, showcasing a range of artworks and exhibitions.
- Outdoor activities: From kayaking along the waterfront to hiking in Fort De Soto Park, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.
- Dining and nightlife: St Petersburg offers a diverse food scene, with a wide array of restaurants serving various cuisines. In the evening, you can explore the vibrant nightlife and entertainment options.
- Proximity to Orlando: St Petersburg is conveniently located near Orlando’s theme parks, including Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort, making it an ideal base for a combined beach and theme park vacation.